While Spotify and Apple Music seem to be dominating the music streaming world, YouTube Music wants in too. With this in mind, YouTube Music is currently developing an offline mixtape feature for its users. When you turn on smart downloads, the app is capable of downloading up to 500 songs based on your listening habits on your Android device. This playlist is also available for offline listening. Addressing the new update to their app, Google said:
The options that you see are based on your existing personalized suggestions and are meant to help you find what you’re looking for faster. They could be videos related to the one you’re watching, videos published by the channel you’re watching, or other topics which may be of interest to you. This new feature can be found on the homepage when you scroll up, and on Up Next when browsing.
Every night when you’re on Wi-Fi, YouTube Music will automatically download your favorite music based on these criteria. With a similar downloading feature on , perhaps YouTube Music is on to something here.
YouTube Music Offline Mixtape and Beyond
Despite YouTube Music not integrating with google play, the app has a 4.0 rating on the Google Play store. The description of the app paints a better picture of what you get when you download YouTube Music:
- This is a completely reimagined music service with official releases from your favorite artists
- Easily find the albums, singles, live performances, covers, and remixes you’re looking for
- Don’t know a song’s name? Just search the lyrics or describe it
- Get music recommendations based on taste, location, and time of day
- Use “The Hotlist” to keep up with what’s trending
- Listen Ad-free with uninterrupted listening with Music Premium
In summary, for $9.99 a month, you can enjoy offline listening now. With a to the music streaming industry, maybe YouTube Music can compete with the big dogs.